Early Childhood Special Education services are specially designed services for children ages three to five with a developmental delay in one or more areas:
• Physical: fine motor, gross motor, sensory
• Cognitive: problem solving, thinking skills
• Communication: Language, Articulation
• Adaptive/Self-Help: dressing, feeding
Qualifications for the Early Childhood Disability Program:
• Referred for evaluation: Students are referred for testing either by first attending an early childhood screening (Project KIDS in Derby), referrals from other districts’ screenings, transitioning from a part C infant/toddler program (like Rainbows United), and/or may already be receiving outpatient services from a private agency.
• Participate in a comprehensive evaluation: A comprehensive evaluation is conducted by a multidisciplinary team, which might include a school psychologist, early childhood teacher, social worker, speech pathologist, occupational therapist and physical therapist. The evaluation is typically set up in an early childhood classroom in one of the elementary schools. The child would attend for two to four mornings or afternoons participating in the classroom setting while the evaluation is taking place. Evaluation information will include parent interview, observation, individual testing, vision/hearing screenings and reviewing any previous therapies or services the child might have received.
• Staffing to discuss evaluation information and determine child’s needs: A staffing will be held within two weeks of the evaluation. The child’s team, which includes parents, early childhood teacher, therapists, nurse, social worker, school psychologist and an administrator, will be invited to the meeting. The evaluation results will be shared and based on all of the information gathered during the evaluation, eligibility will be determined. If the child qualifies, the team will determine which services and the best setting to provide those services.
Location(s): Derby Hills Elementary, Oaklawn Elementary, Swaney Elementary, Tanglewood Elementary and Wineteer Elementary
Hours of service: Tuesday-Friday, 1/2 day (morning and afternoon classes)
Fee: No cost
Contact: Special Services at (316) 554-8014